Saturday, July 23, 2016

EL Poetry Analysis: Decomposition, Zulfikar Ghose

Decomposition

by Zulfikar Ghose

I have a picture I took in Bombay
of a beggar asleep on the pavement:
grey-haired, wearing shorts and a dirty shirt,
his shadow thrown aside like a blanket.
His arms and legs could be cracks in the stone;
routes for the ants’ journeys, the flies’
descents.
brain-washed by the sun into exhaustion,
he lies veined into stone, a fossil man.
Behind him, there is a crowd passingly
bemused by a pavement trickster and quite
indifferent to this very common sight
of an old man asleep on the pavement.
I thought it was a good composition
and glibly called it The Man in the Street,
remarking how typical it was of
India that the man in the street lived there.
His head in the posture of one weeping
into a pillow chides me now for my
presumption at attempting to compose
art out of his hunger and solitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment